• Online only
CALA PRESTA
  • CALA PRESTA
  • CALA PRESTA
  • CALA PRESTA

La Seu Cathedral ( Mallorca)

€25.14
Tax included

Cathedral of Palma de Mallorca in the magic blue hour .

Aspect ratio and size
Printed coordinates
Base material
Quantity
In Stock

 

Security policy (edit with Customer reassurance module)

 

Delivery policy (edit with Customer reassurance module)

 

Return policy (edit with Customer reassurance module)

The Santa María de Palma de Mallorca Cathedral-Basilica also called Mallorca Cathedral is the main religious building on the island of Mallorca. In Mallorca, it is known as La Seu (Seu or Seo is the name given to the cathedrals in the Crown of Aragon).

It consists of a Levantine Gothic style temple built on the shore of the Bay of Palma.

It overlooks the sea on Roman and Renaissance walls that protected the city, the only Gothic cathedral meet this peculiarity. also consists of the headquarters of the diocese of Mallorca, the owner is the Assumption of Mary.

In 1931 it was declared a historic monument. In addition, it is the cathedral with the largest rosette Gothic world, 2 more original rose window of all European Gothic cathedrals (13 meter diameter), 3 since there are cathedrals with rosettes larger (15m) but belong to the neo-Gothic, 4 and also one that has a ship of greater height between the European Gothic cathedrals.

The building is huge, its dome reaches a height of 44 m only surpassed by the Cathedral Beauvais 48 m, the highest Gothic cathedral in the world and slightly less than the height of the Milan Cathedral 45 m, however exceeds the Cathedral Cologne 43 m.

The building covers 6,655 square meters. The interior volume is 160 000 m³. Its construction began in 1229, after the conquest of the island by the Crown of Aragon. King James I, decided to demolish the old great mosque of Medina Mayurca to build a great temple dedicated to Santa María, since the outbreak of a severe storm during the voyage by sea to Mallorca to conquer, promised to build a cathedral in worship if this He saved them death.5 In 1346, it was the King James III, although work continued and finished many years later because it was not completed until 1601, and, strictly speaking, continued (and continues) reforming and restoring every so often.

JD00001